19 Jan 2012

Our film title: On Death and Dying

Ever since first viewing Kieslowski's incredible 'Decalogue' series I have been interested in the idea of crafting my own homage to the films. I thought the idea of taking the ten commandments - which nearly everyone in the world has knowledge of - was a genius way of ensuring an audience would be able to connect with the characters and situations. Soon after, I developed the idea of doing a series of five films in a similar respect.
I planned to call the series 'On Death and Dying', after Kübler-Ross' seminal work and write one short film for each of the five stages of grief. At the time I was wholly serious and optimistic that I would someday be in a position to create this series and almost ended up using part of a script I had written as A Level English coursework.
When we came to brainstorm ideas for our opening sequence I mentioned this idea and we decided that with some modification this was a strong starting point for our work. We decided that rather than focusing on doing the opening to one of these five films we should instead compile all five into one short opening sequence, introducing each character in a similar way that Magnolia introduces all it's key characters across a montage set to Aimee Mann's rendition of Nilsson's One.
Immediately upon deciding this was exactly the kind of opening sequence we wanted to film, I knew instantly the song I wanted to use and could picture exactly how it would work:



With all this in mind in only - what we would hopefully dub - the early stages of our project, we are fairly confident this idea will play out nicely and prove an effective idea (right? right?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment